Connect with us

Asaba Metro News

Godswill Akpabio
Senate President, Godswill Akpabio

Politics

Retract, Apologize, or Face Legal Action: Akpabio to Senators


Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, has vehemently denied allegations made by Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan (PDP, Kogi Central) accusing him of plotting to assassinate her. Akpabio described the claims as “malicious, false, and baseless”.

In a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio emphasized his commitment to National unity, institutional integrity, and the rule of law.

“As a statesman devoted to national unity and democratic values, I will not be distracted by malicious falsehoods or inflammatory rhetoric,” the statement read.

Akpabio is now seeking a public retraction and apology from Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan and former Senator Elisha Abbo, who also made allegations against him. Formal letters of demand are being prepared to be served on both individuals, seeking immediate retractions, apologies, and compensation for alleged reputational damage.

ALSO READ:  Reps Reverse Decision on Death Penalty, Immunity clause bills

The statement, titled “Re: False and Malicious Allegations Targeting the President of the Senate,” strongly condemned what it described as a “coordinated smear campaign”.

“While speaking in Kogi State on April 1, 2025, the suspended Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan falsely alleged that Senator Akpabio had recruited former Governor Yahaya Bello to assassinate her. This outrageous accusation is not only false but a dangerous and provocative fabrication,” it said.

Akpabio also dismissed allegations made by former Senator Elisha Abbo, who claimed that Akpabio manipulated the judiciary to remove him from office. Eyiboh noted that Abbo had previously retracted those claims in 2023 and issued a public apology. He emphasized that Abbo’s removal was the result of a constitutionally grounded judgment by the Court of Appeal, not political interference.

ALSO READ:  Breaking: Police Order Senator Natasha to Cancel Sallah Rally in Kogi State

Eyiboh also reminded the public that Akpoti-Uduaghan had previously made an unsubstantiated accusation of sexual harassment against Akpabio, a claim which she later abandoned without clarification.

“Her recurring pattern of false accusations, including similar claims in 2019 and 2023 against other public figures, reveals a troubling exploitation of victimhood narratives for personal and political gain,” the statement added.

“His new claims regarding being denied entitlements are also categorically false. Senate entitlements are processed administratively and not at the discretion of the Senate President,” the statement clarified.

ALSO READ:  Senate Dismisses Natasha’s Sexual Harassment Petition Against Akpabio

Eyiboh asserted that the timing and similarity of these attacks suggest a politically motivated effort to discredit the Senate’s leadership.

“These individuals, possibly backed by hidden interests, appear united in a desperate attempt to undermine the Senate and its leadership,” he said.

The statement confirmed that the Senate President will pursue legal options but emphasized his continued focus on legislative duties.

“Regardless of the necessity for legal redress, formal letters of demand seeking retractions, apologies, and compensation are underway,” it said.

Akpabio called on Nigerians and the international community to dismiss the allegations and focus instead on the Senate’s efforts to promote legislative excellence, democratic values, and progress for Nigerians.


For advert placement, publication of news content, articles, videos or any other news worthy materials on this Website, kindly send mail to asabametro@gmail.com.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Politics

Advertisement

TRENDING STORIES

Advertisement

LATEST STORIES

Advertisement
To Top